You dont have javascript enabled! Please enable it!

College Street

Probably named after College House. It is thought that there were once plans to make Wrexham Parish Church a collegiate church but there is no evidence that this ever actually occurred. It may have been that the events of the Reformation put paid to any plans before they were actually implemented. The Welsh name for this street was Camfa’r Cwn (The Dog’s Style) after the style which was situated by the churchyard. It has also been known as Cefn y Cwm which was undoubtedly a distortion of Camfa’r Cwn. There was once a kiln located at the foot of the present-day steps. The Blue Bell Inn (later The Commercial and now private flats), was one of the oldest licensed premises in Wrexham, and the renovated Cambrian Vaults are located here.


It is claimed to be in a premises in this street called Hughes’ Yard that the first Wesleyan Methodist sermon was preached in 1773 by Samuel Bradburn of Chester.


Available Galleries


Wrexham Town

Send this to a friend