You dont have javascript enabled! Please enable it!

Central Station

Opened in 1887 with the extension of the Wrexham, Mold and Connah’s Quay Railway from Wrexham Exchange station in to the town centre. The original plan was to build a new station to be named Wrexham Jubilee (in honour of Queen Victoria’s 50 years on the throne) but the grand plans never materialised, and instead some second-hand church buildings were purchased from Mid Wales to service the station needs.

Proposed Jubillee Station illustration

In 1895 with the arrival of the Wrexham and Ellesmere railway line, an extra platform and accompanying buildings were added. To make way for the latest development, the Old Vicarage which had been purchased from the Benjamin Percy estate to serve as offices was demolished. The redevelopment of the Island Green site in the 1990’s led to the opportunity to build a new Central Station in another location.


Despite opposition from many quarters, including local Member of Parliament Dr John Marek, the station was re-sited about 150 yards further west, in the centre of the Island Green shopping precinct and given access to the town centre via St. Mark’s Road. The first phase of the re-development was completed in 1998 and the station was completed and officially opened in 1999 with the bilingual name Wrexham Central/ Wrecsam Canolog.


Available Galleries


Wrexham Town

Send this to a friend