You dont have javascript enabled! Please enable it!

Bwlchgwyn

Bwlchgwyn The Joiners Arms

The Joiners Arms

Bwlchgwyn, the highest village in Wales, dates back to ancient times, with evidence of early human settlement in the area. The village’s name is Welsh and translates to “white pass” or “white ridge,” likely referring to the geographical features of the region.

 

Bwlchgwyn, like many Welsh villages, historically had an economy based on agriculture. The community likely engaged in farming, with residents cultivating the land for sustenance and trade. The 18th and 19th centuries brought about significant changes to many Welsh communities due to industrialization. While Bwlchgwyn wasn’t a major industrial centre, the broader region experienced shifts in economic activities, and some residents will have been involved in industries such as coal mining or quarrying.

 

As a small Welsh village, Bwlchgwyn had a close-knit community with strong ties to Welsh culture and traditions. Chapels and churches often played central roles in community life. In the 20th and 21st centuries, Bwlchgwyn has evolved as a residential community. Like many rural areas, it has seen changes in its economy, with a shift away from traditional industries. Residents today are involved in a range of professions, and the village remains an integral part of the local landscape.

 

Gwern Hall was built in 1863 on the site of an existing house. The land on which Gwern Hall now stands was originally part of the much larger Nant-y-Ffrith Estate and during World War 2 evacuee children from Liverpool stayed at the hall.

 

Available Galleries

Search

Wrexham Area

Send this to a friend