You dont have javascript enabled! Please enable it!


Acton Hall Gates 1924

Acton Hall Gates 1924

The name ‘Acton’ is thought to have been a corruption of ‘Oak Town’. The area is known in Welsh as ‘Gwaunyterfyn’ (boundary meadow or moor).


Madog ap Gruffydd Maelor granted land in this area to the monks of Valle Crucis Abbey in 1202 and the charters of Valle Crucis for 1200 and 1222 mention abbey lands at ‘Actun’. A 1289 survey of Wrexham townships includes ‘Actone vachan’ (Acton Fechan) and ‘Acton vaur’ (Acton Fawr).


By the late 16th century, much of the township had become part of the ‘Acton Park’ estate of the Jeffreys family. The family based itself at Acton Hall, which was recorded as having 11 hearths in 1670, making it one of the largest houses in the Wrexham area. The Cunliffes were a wealthy family who lived at Acton Hall in the 18th & 19th centuries. The house was demolished during 1955-56.


Available Galleries


Wrexham Town

Send this to a friend